Thursday, February 19, 2009

college

I should be going to bed, but am wide awake thinking about everything that is going on this semester. I was just on Rate My Professor looking at some of the professors I've had over the years. The site is ridiculous, yes, but pretty helpful when trying to figure out which professor to take. Of course everyone wants the easy professors. Less work on the student's part. As I was reading I kept seeing "I never went to class and still got a B" The majority of the ones that said that were from freshman level classes, but I have never understood why it is so difficult for people to go to class.

In my opinion you are here to do a job. If you are serious about your education you shouldn't care how boring the class is (and believe me I've had some AWFUL classes), but I suffer through them to get to my main goal. It just irks me that people are constantly wanting the easy way out. The school that I go to isn't really know for having really intelligent people so this could be the reason I am doing so well, ha! It just makes the value of everyone's degree less when people don't care. If they don't care about school are they going to care about going to work everyday?

If I've learned anything over the past four years, it's that sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do. It's just part of life. That includes going to boring, awful classes, where you hear someone droan on in a monotone voice about something you don't really care about. It's just part of life and part of your eductation. I mean most professors try to engage you in something to make it more interesting.. but they don't always succeed.

I guess the whole point of this is that I just feel bad for the professors who really care about thier students and their success that have to deal with all of the people that are here because they "have to be". Even the professors or classes that I didn't like taught me something, and when I look back on certain classes that seemed really ridiculous and took a lot of time and effort, I appreciate the fact that I did actually learn something from those classes or those professors. Even though I don't particularly like one of the professors I have right now, I feel like he is teaching our class to become better people and to really think outside the box. I'm sure I'll remember him for what he has taught me by making me do things that I wouldn't normally do, and take risks to find the right answer.

No matter how much you dislike something while you are doing it, you should look back on it and see if you learned anything from it. It seems that all of my bad experiences teach me something new.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy making mistakes, and I am completely fine with that because I know I have many to make.

So I'll end this with a Brad Paisley lyric.

"Some mistakes are too much fun, to only make once."

2 comments:

Marchelle said...

I think, had I gone to college, that I would have MAYBE been kind of a slacker, which is why I probably didn't feel the urge to go! No, maybe not a slacker, but I guess I just wasn't mature enough to realize the importance of it.
Fortunately I have had good luck and good experience in the job market, but if I had the opportunity to go back to school, I would definitely look at it the way you are now!

countrygirl005 said...

I know a lot of people who never went to college that have good jobs.

I think the only reason I'm talking about it like this is because it's almost over. It hasn't all been fun lol.

I just feel like it gave me some time to grow up and slowly get away from my parents instead of graduating high school and jumping into a career. Not that that is a bad thing, I just think it depends on the person and how independent they are. I've always been needy and I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I just think if anything it gave me more time to figure out what is going on with my life and where I want it to go.