Saturday, November 22, 2008

souveniers

This is probably my last blog until after Thanksgiving, because I have 3 projects to work on this weekend. Two that are due on Monday and Tuesday, and one that is due as soon as I get back from break.

So you are thinking, why am I writing a blog if I have so much to do? Well I think I had something interesting to say for once, and I didn't want to forget it.

Last night was the library holiday party. It was ok, not really exciting, and actually kind of boring, but it was nice to visit with everyone. It was also sad because I can tell how much the people there actually like me and I am feeling kind of guilty about not working next semester, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyway, there is a girl from Korea that works there, she is a grad student, and I believe that this is the first time she's ever been here. She brought a friend with her to the party that she met her (I'm assuming anyway) because I think she was from Taiwan. Anyway.. we had sloppy joes, and they asked me if it was beef, so I am pretty sure that they had never had them before. Wouldn't that be wierd? Sloppy joes seem so normal to me, but if you didn't know what they were they might not look very good, but they seemed to really like them. They kept going on about how good they were, lol..

Then they were asking me about Black Friday, what it was and why it was called Black Friday. Then she asked me a really hard question: "If you were going to get a souvenier from here what would you get?" They wanted to bring something home with them from here that showed what America is all about.

That really stumped me. I didn't know. So my question to you is... What would you tell her to buy? I just think it's wierd because how would I know what is cool and what isn't. I assume that if I went to a foreign country I would just get something that seems different or unique, but I just couldn't think of something..

Anyway.. I have to get to work on all of this. I'm really excited about being almost done with my SEVENTH! semester of college. Whew! Graduation is going to be the best day of my life.

5 comments:

MauritaMason said...

Wow, that IS tough! America is so diverse that it's hard to come up with one thing. And guess what - there's not too much made in America anymore. LOL If I were in another country, I'd pick either something handcrafted or something to wear.

MauritaMason said...

How about a coonskin cap? hahaha

countrygirl005 said...

good idea :) I think that would be something that people would think was strange and unique!

Anonymous said...

well, well,well......what a silly question to ask....how about something Gma made! a doll,oil painting,china painting....that's something made in the USA! You could get something store bought,too. How about John Deere ornaments? j/k how about coins? you could turn that into a necklace real easy. Talk to Uncle Mark. He had a pendant made for me out of a gold coin.
Aunt Peg
cute blog!

countrygirl005 said...

Good ideas! :) Thanks!